We're About More Than Divorce

Family Law Order Modification

Family Law Order Modification

Modifying Standing Oregon Family Law Orders 

The months and years following a divorce are often full of change. New homes, new relationships, new careers—all naturally result from a life lived after a divorce. As your life changes, divorce agreements, support and child custody orders can quickly become outdated. Modifying these orders may become necessary to protect your financial and emotional well-being and the best interests of your child. 

Regele Law, LLC is a family law firm dedicated to helping clients throughout the Salem, Oregon area. We provide the detailed and personalized advice you need to understand your legal options for modifying family law orders like a divorce agreement or orders relating to spousal support, child custody or child support. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 503-396-4996.

Common Reasons For Order Modification

There are many reasons why it may become necessary to modify a standing order, including:

  • Evolving care or educational needs of the child
  • A change in income
  • Parental health issues that impact their ability to care for the child
  • Physical or emotional abuse
  • Alcohol or drug abuse
  • Changes in insurance coverage
  • Military deployment
  • Refusal to abide by the order

These factors may make it impossible to abide by the order or place undue hardship on one or both parties. Under these circumstances, a legal modification of the order may be a viable option. 

Requesting A Divorce Modification In Oregon

Requesting a modification without an attorney is not in your best interests. To legally alter a standing family law order, you must file a petition for modification with the court that issued the original order. This process can be confusing as it involves a good deal of paperwork and requires proof of the reasoning behind the modification. 

For example, if you wish to modify a child support order because you have experienced a reduction in income, you must provide pay stubs or other proof of the change. 

Discuss Your Modification Needs With Our Salem, OR Law Firm

Done improperly, a modification request may do more harm than good. This makes it important to have an attorney who knows the law, the modification process and the best ways to submit a modification request. 

At Regel Law, we have helped many clients throughout the Marion County area modify family law orders that have become outdated or harmful. We take great care to walk you through your legal options and the steps needed to obtain a modification. To discuss your order modification concerns with our team, call 503-396-4996 or email us to schedule an appointment.